Portfolio Reflection:

Dear Readers:

Putting together this portfolio was an amazing experience for me for several reasons. It was fun to go through all the work I've done in the past few years and choose the pieces I think best represent me and my work. To see the evolution of my writing from its infancy in Comp II to its pinnacle in Literary Criticism is both embarrassing and inspiring! By doing this portfolio, I can really see my development as a writer and a college student. It gives me confidence that I will be prepared for my next academic hurdle, graduate school. It is also very exciting to have my pieces in one convenient collection that I will be able to show to prospective graduate schools and future employers by simply giving them the URL.

By reflecting on each piece, I am able to see the evolution of my work as well as the growth of my knowledge base. We were asked to submit pieces as they were and not edit anything, and, I must admit, the temptation was strong, though the time was definitely lacking! However, by not editing older work, I came to see an improvement in my writing skills. What used to frighten me and feel overwhelming I am now able to take in stride. Each piece reflects a stepping stone towards my future goals. I feel I have learned what I needed to to move on with my future educational endeavors.

Some pieces represent my least favorite classes, and some my most favorite classes. This is extremely useful because by completing this body of work, I was able to form an idea of which direction I would like to go in my graduate school studies, namely literary theory and criticism. To be able to find my strengths and weaknesses as well as my likes and dislikes through this body of work is useful and gratifying.

I believe I have achieved the goals of all seven outcomes as a student of literature, and I have greatly enjoyed putting this portfolio together. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I've enjoyed writing it.

Thank you,

Christine Gill