Portfolio Reflection:

My Spanish studies at Mount Mary College have allowed me to learn not only about another culture that I have become a part of but also about myself as a person. As a non native speaker of Spanish language, I felt that I had a large amount of growing to during my time here in the program. Although the task seemed quite daunting when I first began, I feel that I have developed my skills and appreciation for another culture and language.

I was particularly interested in how the Spanish major would intertwine with my other major of Art Therapy. I feel that by combining the two areas of study together, I will be able to reach more people and help those in need with a higher skill set. By creating this portfolio I have learned that a culture goes beyond just speaking the language. In looking at my collection of work I see that there are layers to the culture that involve history, literature, traditions and logistics. There are many things that I did not know prior to my studies and now I can confidently say that I feel well versed in the area of Spanish.

With my time here coming to a close, I hope to continue my studies in graduate school and keep up the study of Spanish alongside Recreational Therapy. It is my hope to one day integrate my knowledge of Spanish with recreational therapy to offer services to veterans of the military. I am optimistic that I will be able to offer assistance to every person who asks for it and is in need. I intend to care for each individual as seen fit, no matter what language they speak.