Goal 3 Description:

Acquire information and connect with other disciplines

Goal 3 ReflectionAcquire information and connect with other disciplines

Throughout my Spanish studies, I have learned about the various aspects of culture which include traditions, literature and history. In combination with the Spanish language itself, I am able to apply these things to my second area of study which is Art Therapy. In the area of Art Therapy, there are many different things that are discussed such as psychology, mental illness and coping mechanisms. Art Therapists are asked to evaluate and treat those who may be in need of an alternative method of counseling.  

In my time here at Mount Mary, I have learned that these ideas and concepts are not only present in the English speaking community, but also the Spanish speaking community. The same ideas and difficulties are discussed and solutions are always being sought out.  Art Therapy is a new and evolving field and not many people are aware of the impact it can have on either community of people. In combination with my knowledge in Art Therapy and skill set in Spanish, I hope to make the field better known and help those who may be overlooked and forgotten.

I feel that I have used my Spanish in a variety of setting during my time as a student not only in professional settings, but in volunteering or everyday life as well. I have been involved in many art making experiences where Spanish is needed. As a camp counselor working with cognitively disabled children, I find that Spanish is an excellent skill to have. Parents of these children are already nervous to leave them and to have someone there to communicate and reassure them is crucial. I hope that I am able to keep on doing this a provide a sense of comfort and security to those around me while integrating art into the process.